Monday, September 25, 2006

The Fall is here




Heaven holds a sense of wonder...

The Fall/Winter is coming. Our fall is winter…yeah. Anyway, I was at the coffee shop tonight after working, then working out for close to two hours; I wonder where I’m going with my life.

Yeah, so the coffee store. As I was biking down Cook Street I see Diana, and she yells for me to come over. I quickly veer my bike over and catch up to her.

We head down the coffee store only to meet Michael, another acquaintance. I am amazed that in the short period of four years…I finally am able to recognize people on the street and form relationships. We talk, we make jokes, and after a couple of hours at the coffee shop, we head to smoke a joint.

Now, mind you, I’m not a drug smoker. Two puffs of a joint and I’m completely high – in a manageable state, but stoned nonetheless.

We talk about the coming fall. We talk about why it’s so enthralling to be in such a beautiful place as Victoria, how lucky we are, and how we handle the winter. I have to give you some background first. In Newfoundland, as much as it snows, we can see the stars on winter nights, the days still have Sunshine, and the only thing that stops living is the snow, which is unbearable at times.

In Victoria it’s different. It rains, the sky disappears, I can’t explain why we are sometimes covered by clouds for weeks on end, or how I wonder if the Sun will ever shine again; I can’t tell you how many times I have woke in the morning only to see it pour, and to see the clouds so low to the ground, almost to the point of making me claustrophobic. That’s how we feel. That’s why I need to head away and find places where I can see the sky again.

There is an upside, a beautiful and agreeable one. The fall helps us to gather ourselves back together. I lose myself in the summer, in the weather, the beaches, the biking, hiking…and everyone else around me is active. It’s a time when I forget everything. In the winter, I regroup, recharge, I start to reorganize my life and take care of myself again. I get to write, to think, to once again feel as if I’m completely involved in my domestic and personal lives. In the winter, I am now focused.

We talk about these things, and we all agree we are lower, and we lose apart of ourselves, or do we just feel human again? I don’t look at it as a stale time. I think positively about the upcoming season. And I also see a different side to these two people. They are complex and somewhat unhappy beings.

The more people I get to know, the more I think, am I one of the few happy people out there? I mean, I have my bouts of problematic thoughts or situations, but really, deep down inside, I am content and happy. And saying it just validates it more.

I do want a boyfriend though…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This last blog really connected with me as I also am very happy the vast majority of the time and sometimes my whining, complaining friends can piss me off.
I can't understand why you don't have a boyfriend, you are a hunk man. The boyfriend will happen when you least expect it.
Love reading your blog.
Mike from Kingston, Ontario

Charlie said...

Awe thanks Mike. I have tried having a boyfriend, I even played house once, but now I find it harder to find someone I truely want to be with. I guess I'm one of those guys that won't settle, and I guess I kinda go for the guys who aren't that into me...

Hehe...this could be a really long story. Let's just say I'm not complaining about being single and I would be open to a relationship if the right person came along.

Thanks for your comments :)

Charlie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I was right there, you looked, looked away, and then be still, my heart froze, you turned and looked again. I wonder if our eyes meeting burns for you in the same way?

Charlie said...

Hmmmm, are you making reference to something which I can substantiate, or are you playing in jest?

Anonymous said...

no, we saw one another, I'm just not in your viewfinder I guess.

Charlie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.