Monday, May 08, 2006

I have no car

After dealing with an increasing scary car noise, I finally gave in. On the way to work this morning, I swerved towards the dealership and decided to pop in. For some reason, I try to be charming, I want them to help me out...maybe get my car in quicker, or I don't know give me a loaner for a while. No such luck.

I approach the overly busy service guys and I tell them in a blunt manner: "I have an appointment for next Saturday; I don't think my car can hold out that long." They look at me with a level of understanding and sympathy. "I'm just going to drop it off, I can't drive it. Let me know when it's fixed." Done and done. I also updated my information detailing what exactly is wrong with the vehicle. To be honest, the noise sounds really bad. It sounds like either a brake rotor or a wheel bearing is fucked. C'est la Vie. I just hope it doesn't put me in the hole.

After getting a 15 dollar taxi voucher - which I know will not cover the cab to work - I decide to limp to the bus station. I have been running quite a bit this week, and yesterday the heel of my foot encountered a sprain. I'm limping towards the bus station, chewing on a MacDonald’s breakfast sandwich, holding a 15 dollar taxi voucher, and the sound of my detox pills in my nap sack are loud and drawing attention to myself.

I'm trying to quit smoking again. Its' going well, but today will be one of the biggest trials I have had to face since stopping. It's always the way...things always go wrong when you need sanity and calm.

I arrive at the bus station, which is empty, and I'm making the assumption I just missed the 75. I look through the times, and I'm 2 minutes too late. If only I didn't stop for MacDonald’s. The next bus is in...What? 40 minutes? Jesus Christ! What kind of a bus system do we have in Victoria? This is unacceptable.

I know if I wait that long, I will be late for work. I decide to phone a cab. I'm still calm, and I think that I have a firm grasp on the situation. I look at the street name (Vernon, remember Vernon), and I spot a cab driving by and memorize the number. Things are starting to fall into place.

"Hello, Blue Bird cabs, can I help you sir?" She sounds young, slightly ticked, but she wants my business.

"Ummm yeah, I'm on Vernon Street, at a bus station, behind Save on Foods, can I get a cab?” I ask politely, hoping to just cut this conversation shop. "Sir, we need to have a street address...” she's already impatient and we've only just started to talk.

"Yeah, I'm on Vernon, behind the Save on Foods, isn't that enough?" All that has happened today is slowly starting to build. I'm still cool; I can do this without raging. "Sir, we need an address", and silence.

"Fuck, I'll walk over to the Save on Foods, can you send a cab?" Click. I cross Vernon which is a one way street with four lanes of traffic. I have to limp because of my food, and I'm grasping the 15 dollar voucher which won't even cover half my trip...I shouldn't have pointed out where I was going...I could have gotten it fully reimbursed...

A wall of traffic approaches, and I have to pick my limp up to a jog, and I howl in pain. If you asked me what I hate most about Mondays, I would probably break down and cry at this point. I finally make it to the Save on Foods center, and a minute later a cab arrives. We make some small talk, but he can tell that I'm really not in the mood. I stare at the meter rounding 30 dollars and we are at my workplace. I handsomely tip the man and stroll into work.

I have 8 missed phone calls and a pile of e-mails.

I've managed to hook up rides with my workmate Marty for the week. I mean, I can survive without a car. I never use it when I'm home, only for groceries, and occasionally when it's raining and I don't want to be in the elements. I'll be fine. If worse comes to worse I can take the metro bus.

1 comment:

Matt™ said...

Sounds like my sort of day. I hated bussing when I did into UVic. I would have broken down and just gone home if I was you. Congrats on going on !