Thursday, January 25, 2007

Vacations...


After a recently dismissed vacation I now have a plane ticket to anywhere in Canada or the United States. Initially, I had a ticket to Florida to accompany my parents, but, it turns out my workmate booked time before me so I am stuck.

I know, I know, I would have been real keen on staying in a resort village, attending Disney World and other money grabbing intuitions that keep Florida going, and oh, the arguing, how I will miss the tears, the sun stroke, the competing to get other family members on your side. I will miss it all but right now I have a ticket to worry about.

The last time I was in Florida with my parents – 2003, I believe – we had a few major arguments and I remember my last words to them: “Hear me well; I will NEVER EVER go on another family vacation with you crazy fucks again”. I said it. It’s true. The whole point of vacation is to go and relax but when a redneck from Georgia becomes your best friend at the local resort bar while you share Sam Adams beers, you know you’re in trouble.

Yeah, I was pissed at first. In fact, I wanted to hunt down my work mate and have an all out confrontation but now I see the light. I now have control over my destiny and my precious two weeks will not be planned out by my overbearing father. I have the power.

When I phoned to cancel the ticket, which was under my name, they gave me two options:

A) Cancel the ticket and send a refund (the amount paid in taxes because it was an aero plan ticket) to my father.

B) Take back your life, regain control; cancel the ticket and leave it in your name. Note: if you choose this option your father may find out and start another argument. There is a fifty five dollar rebooking charge, period.
It was tough deciding what to do. The ticket was my Christmas and Birthday gift – although it was a bit grand – but I feel as if it’s still mine.

I’m thinking I’ll head back to Newfoundland. I mean, it’s what I really wanted to do in the first place when I found out we weren’t going to St. Pete’s or Miami and my father cheeped out and rented a condo in the fucking resort trap we call Orlando outskirts. I will go home and see ALL of my family. It will no longer be inclusive and I will get to revisit my past. My home. I haven’t seen my nephew, sister, brother, mother, aunts, uncles, grandparents in over three years. I think this is a no brainer.

I’m thinking April. I’m thinking I will rent a hot car, visit the fishing village I grew up in as an ousted gay male, and have a fun time with it. I hope to get into at least one bar fight, open a bottle of beer with my molars, have sex with a guy I always questioned, and not give two fucks about what other people think about me. The community will be tense and I relish in the chance to be there experiencing it.

After they chase me out with pitchforks I will proceed to a few more small towns where my relatives live, then, off to St. John’s for a weekend of partying in a city. I’m going to take my sister and Nephew and put them up in a hotel. The nights will be reserved for me…I don’t care what she has to say about it. I need to get laid at least once on this holiday.

So I’m excited. I’m glad everything fell through. I’m glad my co-worker booked around the same time I did – knowing full well I already had a vacation planned in Easter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

char
hope you're well but i must say i am very disappointed to read your blog about returning home. i don't know what is going through your head to be honest. the people here are not as narrow minded as you might think and could probably care less about what you have chosen to do with your personal life. nor would they waste their time and effort chasing you with a pitchfork. and good luck finding someone at the bar to have a bar fight with.
it's horrible that you view the people of the town where you were raised in such a way. so i guess as it turns out you're the narrow-minded one. i considered you a friend until i read this. you're a bigot unfortunately.

Charlie said...

I'm not sure who left this...and I'm suprised that someone from home is reading this. I'm not a bigot...and I don't really mean everything I wrote; I will acknowledge that there are some people in those smaller towns that are bigots and very judgemental towards who I am. I am entitled to say these things. At the same time, I have to appologize because:

a) not everyone is like it
b) it's a blog, I exaggerate things to some degree.

I won't take it all too seriously. I mean, I do mean most things, and most things I write about are true, but looking at this particular entry I can see why you were pissed off.

Who is this anyway?

Anonymous said...

Hi babe...I hope you don't think I wrote that message!!!! You totally need to go home in April...Ryan and I are going with the new baby.

Love ya!!

Sherry

S said...

After reading anon's comment, I don't know where to go.

All I wanted to say is don't let your parents guilt trip you into spending time with them.