Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Leadership

A leader has courage. A leader is a person who rules or guides or inspires others. A leader is someone that is honest, and sincere.

I'm in a leadership boot camp at work. It's a program set up in the Software Department to help grow people into leadership roles. This program is over a month long and I have been taking part of the past 2 weeks or so. I am very grateful right now and inspired. I have a team of five other people, and Taner, who is managing this course. Guest speaker's are brought in. Discussions that take us out of our comfort zone is something we have to deal with on a day to day basis. Effective communication, self-assessments, interacting with peers, dealing with conflict, and so on. There are so many things occurring right now.

All I can say is WOW. I'm spending about 10 to 11 hours a day at work now. When I leave it's usually dark, and I have very little time for other after work activities. But, right now I don't care. I'm taking part in something which is changing me, and it's something I really enjoy. Some of the skills we are learning, I'm actually applying. My confidence is growing, and I just feel better overall. It's making me think about the future and what I really want in my career and life.

Taner is a great teacher. My work mates, are now much more. They are peers that I see in a different light, and I'm learning that none of use are really that different when you look at the basic characteristics of a person. And, I'm getting surprised constantly!

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: