Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Your hair is coxcomb red, your eyes are viper black

We are adrift in this microcosm, serving in and out of the realities that serve as grounds to keep us centered. Our universe is our daily activities, our passions...what we do defines us and the world we hold sacred. We are lucky to be Canadian. Lucky to have decent wages, a government - although corrupt - is a government that pushes for social standards. There are large portions of the world that don't have it as easy. I question why I am placed in white suburban Canada at times, when there is so much more.

Outside, it's raining. I wouldn't describe it as being a small amount of rain, we are experiencing a downpour. After a long and wet winter, I just want it to be over. I want to feel the warm of the day, to be able to take a walk without worrying if the weather pattern will change in an instant. I miss short sleeve shirts, casual shorts, coffees outside with friends. When will it change?

My friend is headed to Hawaii in a few weeks. Bastard! I'm saving up enough vacation time to do something decent; although inevitably I think Newfoundland will pull be back. I mean, yeah I miss my fucked up family, and it's been a couple of years; unfortunately, I don't think they will ever visit me, so it's time to clean up my stubborn act and admit defeat. I have been playing the 'who visits who game', and to be honest, I don't think I would ever see my family again unless I make an effort to go back - all expenses on me of course, that way everyone wins except for me. The more I think about it, the more I don't want to do it. I could be basking in Spain, surrounded by local hotties, and drinking whatever it is they drink for a lower cost…the plane ticket alone would cover a trip to Europe including hotel accommodations and meals. Hmmm….maybe I'll use that as a bargaining device.

I'm wondering. what would you do if you were in my situation? I thought about also getting a compromise, for instance, have my rich father fork over half the cost of the ticket, that way I have extra cash to spend in Newfoundland, and would be able to shop and hit the night scene in St. John's - note I will be going to St. Johns, I don't care how much my family complains.

3 comments:

Steph said...

the option of going home to a family who isn't willing to visit you OR pay for you to visit them or a trip to an exotic and/or forgien country? I'd pick the later and I wouldn't feel bad about it.

Anonymous said...

You decide to go to St. John's now that I have left it?

Anonymous said...

...that way everyone wins except for me...

Seems like if you have this pissing contest with your family and you don't want to look weak, but hey! you miss them... don't you? so if you go elsewhere and don't visit them... Are you really winning? or are you losing by denying them the chance to reconnect with the new, improved, out-of-the-closet you?

I think is hard for your family to come to visit you in your life of sin and deprevation they may think you live in. I guess you have to show them first you are still the same and then they'll venture to visit you and see a bit more of your life.

if it's all about money? then your dad will always win, because he has more dough than you do.