Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A recap of my holiday vacation

I went to Vancouver for 11 days. Hmmm, it turned out to be a pretty awesome time and I have so many stories, some of which will take far too long to explain. First and foremost, I'm kinda dating someone over there, so my first night was spent with Tyler. He's a great guy, we mend well together, but in terms of a future, I think we are both hesitant to continue onward. We are not cowards, I just think there is a lack of general spark I expect to have when I am with someone.


The days were nice, although it rained every single day, I managed to do a lot of interesting activities. I got a temporary membership to Denman fitness, where I met a nice guy and lived out a gym fantasy. I biked around the city - and Stanley Park - with the ground ripe with rain and dirt flicking up onto my backpack and face. I explored gastown, yaletown, downtown...the west end (which is soooo absurdly gay). There was also some unfinished business with a guy named Chad, we met up Xmas Eve and went to a house party which was kind of uppity, but the food, coke :), and movie (auntie mame - a classic) was just what I needed on my birthday. One of the highlights was the Picasso exhibit at the Vancouver Art gallery. It was mostly sketchings but the Weeping Woman was on display and a few other pieces. I have reason to believe that Picasso's introduction of cubism, and his own fine blend of modern surrealism was highly overrated. I think he lacked .... luster. I'm just pissed had to pay 16 bucks to see sketches.



I have a lot of friends in Vancouver, gawd, every night was a party of a meeting of sorts. I love it, and I was a total social butterfly on the weekend. I must say it's the only time I get a lot of attention, and really it helps me see myself in a different light. Sometimes after a month in Victoria you start questioning whether or not you exist!

New years.

I went to a house party with my friend Jacob. I was in the West End but had a mixed crowd - st8, gay, male, female, cat, everything really. It was definitely a great time, and I met some really interesting people. We leave the party after new years, and I dropped a hit of E, and proceed to "the world". I drop Jacob off at a club and encounter my Ex on the street with one of his friends. It was awesome and they walked me down to Granville. The world was absurd, packed, lots of hot guys but they are so stoned it's sad really. I flirted, fooled around but in the end was upset with the whole scene. I was touched by people who didn't understand boundaries, stared at by people who should know they aren't in my league, and rejected by men who find the scene as trashy as I do (although I played into it...).



I walk home alone. As I hit the West End (New Year's morning), I see fire trucks. The power is out due to a tarp flying off of a condo that was wrapped due to improper building codes. As I approach a local Starbucks (they are everywhere), from a distance I feel a friendly energy. As I approach it's intensified because I catch sight of these piercing blue eyes and incredible smile. Right away a spark! So we make eye contact and smile. I am so interested as I walk by I look behind my shoulder and he is still looking at me. I repeat this act two or three more times, and I notice he is getting up. My heart jumps, and I slow my walk because I know he wants to catch up. As I near the intersection he is by my side and I turn to him. He says hello, asks about my new years, etc etc, and asks me if I'd like to go back to his place and hang out. I say yes.

A complete stranger but at the same time I find this enticing. As we get back to his place, there is someone lurking in the dark. It's his EX, lol. I say hi, and hop in the shower and clean up. When I get back out they are both sitting on the couch waiting for me. Regardless, after some time...and after I entertain the notion of being with both - the ex leaves us be. I get to know Greg over the next two days. He's a great guy. I feel a great deal for him already. He is a poet, a great writer, an artist, and a special soul who has been through a lot, and who keeps going with such a strength that I can only admire him more.

That was my New Years, or at least the best part of my New Years. Meeting an unexpected stranger who will stay play a part in my life. I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Oooo! The plot thickens! By the by, have you seen "Mame" the musical starting Lucille Ball? If you ask me, it's better than "Auntie Mame", but it's basically the same story line.

Matt™ said...

You know what, I completely agree. I feel so much more noticed in Vancouver than I do here. It's odd, but it's like people there are more social or less-cliche oriented or something or that sort. Different social atmosphere entirely.